Thursday, January 22, 2015

Cause I'm Happy~

I've been thinking about my mission a lot lately. It really does come up in any conversation. But I'll write about that later. 

This week, I wanted to talk about how we view our lives and how that can affect us. My mission changed my way of viewing life! Let me summarize this in just two words: 


THINK POSITIVELY

It's as simple as that. Do you want to be happier? Do you want to find success on your mission (another topic for later)? Do you want to radiate the light of Christ about you as a missionary?
Then you must start to first see the good in this world 

I had a time on my mission where (emotionally) I hit rock bottom. I got so depressed and just felt hopeless. I would work as hard as I could everyday -- and I'm thankful that this rock bottom didn't affect that -- but every time I was out and about I would think, " What's the point? They're not interested and we're just setting ourselves up for failure and rejection." Our investigators were gone for the winter break, so we had no one to teach. It seemed like no one was interested in the gospel. It was the holiday season and so that just adding more to my sadness, too.

Talk about pessimistic. 

My mission president could tell I was struggling. My companion was brand new and so she didn't know how to help me. All I could do was just mope in my sorrows.

Until one day, after weeks of my mission President reminding me to be happy and the Lord telling me through prayer that I am being successful, I somehow began pulling myself out of the hole that I had dug for myself. I'm not sure how it happened, to be honest. I think it really was a tender mercy of the Lord that got me out of the hole. 

I felt the Lord's hand pull me up and out. 

That was a turning point for me. I began to think more positively and kept telling myself that I could do this. A day full of rejection was a good day because that meant I talked to all of God's children. A day full of "failure" meant a successful good day because I fulfilled my purpose as a missionary to "invite others to come unto Christ." If an investigator didn't want to learn or read or get baptized, I kept my head up high because I was doing my part in reaching out in love. 

Optimism helps you move forward.

Now don't get me wrong. Remember, optimism does not equal indifference. Nor does it mean you cannot be sad. Optimism is more like the opposite of discouragement. If your investigator doesn't want to get baptized and quits coming to church, be sad! You should be sad if you truly love them! But that does not mean you quit. You keep moving forward as a missionary, and you keep your faith that there are prepared people out there. 

After I climbed out of that pessimistic hold of mine, I felt like I became a different kind of missionary. One who was more motivated and driven to do the Lord's work. (I was also on the downhill of my mission, so maybe that's why too ha) Nothing changed, people still rejected us, people didn't come to church, etc. But my view of everything changed. And the Lord was with me. That was all I needed. 

Even now, after my mission, I still fight that kind of pessimism in my life. It impacted me forever. No, I was not and am not diagnosed with depression. It wasn't that bad. But the power of prayer (again, a different topic) continues to give me an optimistic view of life. Find the good in every situation. I definitely see the difference this has made me now; my mom once asked me if optimism is the only thing I learned on my mission because I bring it up so much haha! 


The Lord, the gospel, life, is all about goodness. God wants us to be happy and we can be no matter what. Whether it's receiving optimism through prayer or just seeing the good always, that gives you strength as a missionary and as a person!!

I invite each of you to make a conscious effort to be happier and smile more. :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment